Louis Watt Memorial Competition
This annual competition is open to students aged 16 or over (by the date of the final round of the competition) who attend Saturday CYM or Holiday Courses including the London Schools Symphony Orchestra and takes place toward the end of the Summer Term.
Prizes are awarded to help students to further their musical development. The winner receives a prize of £400; the two other finalists each receive £200.
The preliminary round is held at Morley College on a weekday. The final round takes place at a public lunchtime recital in the Emma Cons Hall at Morley College, normally on the penultimate Saturday of the CYM year.
• Players should be of a minimum standard equivalent to Associated Board Grade 8.
• In the preliminary round, competitors will be asked to perform two contrasting pieces, chosen by them, lasting not more than 20 minutes. Copies of the music must be made available for the panel.
• Three performers will be selected to take part in the final round. The finalists should play a programme lasting no longer than 12 minutes, which may be music performed in the first round.
• Candidates will be assessed on general presentation, technique, interpretation and musicianship.
• Entry forms are available from the CYM office at Morley College. Tel: 020 7928 3844
• Entry forms must be supported by a report from the candidate’s instrumental tutor.
• Candidates must provide their own accompanist. CYM pupils may rehearse on Saturdays with the CYM accompanists.
The Louis Watt Memorial Fund (reg. Charity no. 1062036)
“The Louis Watt Memorial Fund is a charity set up in 1997 to commemorate my father, Glen Louis Watt, who died in October 1996. He was a teacher in secondary schools in north and east London all his working life. From 1970 to 1981 he was Headmaster of Tollington Park School in Islington. In retirement he was a very keen supporter of the London Schools Symphony Orchestra (LSSO) and of the Centre for Young Musicians (CYM). He was chairman of the Friends of the LSSO for some time. The fund helps Louis’ passion for classical music and opera to be transmitted to future generations of school children. It sponsors the above annual competition at the CYM and aims to support other activities of the Centre whenever possible. In 2015 some support has been given to the LYWB. Donations continue to be welcome.
Dr David Watt
Any queries or donations can be addressed to the Secretary/Treasurer Miss L Arwood:
or 30 Laurier Rd, Croydon, Surrey CR0 6JQ